Sunday, August 10, 2008

The accumulation of realization


After the evening sutra recitation, I felt very appreciative that I have made this Buddhist practice as one of my daily spiritual routine. When I am sitting in front of the Buddha statue at home and doing recitation and meditation, I am very peaceful in most of the time. Having peace in heart and mind is very grateful, as we cannot be peaceful when something uneasy happens. It is true that worries will bring worring things, whereas joy will bring joyful things. The occurrence of something wonderful or accomplishment of something great is always grateful. But the beauty and even miracle can be found in the day of no special occurrences and no special accomplishments. Sutra recitation is the practice of appreciating the moment. Peace is here.

When I was writing my own Dharma Journey for the RKINA website yesterday, I recalled the time when I first walked into one Rissho Kosei-kai Buddhist Center in Japan just 30 years ago. So I have been sitting and reciting the words of the Buddha written in the Lotus Sutra for 30 years.

I wrote in my Dharma Journey in the RKINA web, as
“I need to confess that I am not yet fully enlightened and I still suffer from illusion and attachment. If I had not had the knowledge and practice of the Dharma, however, I would not have had my present peace and joy. I deeply appreciate the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha. I think that the Buddhist Way is not all or nothing or enlightened or not-enlightened. But with the Dharma, we are able to have many awakening experiences; they may be often small ones. Founder Nikkyo Niwano says, “The accumulation of ‘I see!’ moments of realization, lead to enlightenment,” in the Thought of the Week. I appreciate all the realization I have had in my Buddhist Way.”

Gassho
Mizutani

No comments: