Saturday, September 27, 2008

Awakening Call

A couple of weeks ago, I was staying at a hotel, in San Antonio, Texas. Around 3 a.m., a room phone rang loudly, and I jumped out of the bed. “Is John, there?” “What?” “Oh, sorry, I have the wrong number.” The conversation ended, but the sensation of blaming this young woman for this careless action started within me. The following morning, I woke up with the sense of blaming her and also blaming myself for not being able to forgive her.

I gradually recalled what was going on the night before; the hurricane was approaching the Gulf area, lots of people were evacuating from that area, the hotel was occupied by many evacuee-like guests, and a group of people entered the room next door at midnight before the phone rang…… Most probably, the young woman was a family member from the Gulf region. I was ashamed of myself for having decided that she lacked common sense. When I saw it all clearly, my mind was freed. And I realized myself now worrying about and praying for the victims of the hurricane.

We react based on our own interpretation. By clearing our views and building our capacity to recognize everything as it is, we are able to see the beautiful nature of every being, and consequently peace, compassion, and dedication are revealed within ourselves. This is the meaning of awakening to the truth of the universe. Everyone has buddha-nature, most beautiful nature and also potential of awakening. Awakening to the truth of universe is assured to everyone in the Lotus Sutra.

The midnight phone brought me awakening.
Gassho
Shoko Mizutani

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Thank you for your teachings. I am enjoying your blog. I will be moving to the Irvine area in 2009 and am looking for a Buddhist center. I would definitely be interested in the Tuesday evening classes. I will email you when I move there! Thank you!