Sunday, May 31, 2009

Blood Donation is a privilege


How wonderful it is to be able to donate blood. Last time I had donated my blood may be about 20 years ago in Japan. Why had not I done any blood donation since then? In those days, I had been rejected to be a donor because of my frequent visits to various parts of the third world countries and also some medications I was taking at that time. It is not easy to give blood.


Since then, I had long awaited the time when I do not travel the third world countries and do not take any medication. As the time has gone, I think I had become ready to give blood since several years ago. But I had been missing the opportunities.   Whenever I saw a Red Cross bus for blood donation, I attempted to give blood. But most of the time, there were too many people waiting.
A few weeks ago, my colleague talked about his experience of blood donation. I thought it was the Buddha’s call. I visited “Give Life - American Red Cross” website right away and made online appointment. And today I made it at the nearby place for the first time in the last 20 years.


I was born and raised in Japan but I have been living in the US since 2001. I am very grateful to all people in the US for their support for me and for my family. Therefore, it has been my wish to fulfill my obligation to do some thing good for fellow American people. The dream has finally come true today.


Thank you, Red Cross people, for giving me this opportunity.
Thank you, Buddha, for this opportunity.

Blood donation is a privilege.
Mizutani

No comments: